Rumford Hospital Offers Ultrasound Imaging Services
Ultrasound exams are a type of medical imaging that use sound waves to help “see” images within the body.
This painless procedure is also known as a sonogram. During the procedure a probe is lightly pressed against the body; sound waves pass through the body and their echo creates the image.
We perform the following sonograms at Rumford Hospital:
- Abdominal imaging
- Pelvic imaging
- Transvaginal imaging of the pelvis
- Soft tissue neck exams to assess the thyroid or parotids, or soft tissue masses
- Carotid exams to assess the blood flow through the carotid
veins to look for vein narrowing or stenosis
- Upper and lower extremities, checking for deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
- Breast imaging, as a follow-up to mammograms or exams that detect a mass. (Often a benign cyst.)
- Obstetrical exams to assess fetal development (size of the baby.)
For information about ultrasounds or to contact Medical Imaging, call 207-369-1131.