Our Rehabilitation Services
Rumford Hospital offers inpatient, outpatient and nursing home based rehabilitation services – physical, occupational and speech therapy and therapeutic massage.
Our rehabilitation staff works closely with our medical staff and affiliated specialists from Central Maine Medical Center to provide individualized rehabilitation programs. We offer personalized care to people of all ages. We also provide patient, family and community education, as well as customized home exercise programs.
Rehabilitation includes the evaluation and treatment of injuries and disabilities, as well as education for prevention of injury.
The basic goals of RH’s Rehabilitation Services are to
• Relieve pain and discomfort,
• Restore function and promote healing,
• Build strength and increase endurance,
• Increase range of motion and flexibility,
• Improve or correct posture,
• Improve balance and coordination,
• Learn or relearn skills.
Our physical therapy staff provides effective medical treatment for orthopedic, neurological, developmental and related problems, including, but not limited to, these conditions:
• Back and neck pain,
• Joint pain,
• Sprains and strains,
• Impaired mobility,
• Repetitive motion injuries,
• ACL injuries,
• Recovery from joint replacement,
• Musculoskeletal pain,
• Soft tissue dysfunction,
• Stroke rehabilitation,
• Balance disturbances,
• Pediatric developmental delays,
• Impaired functioning,
*Rhonda Norton, a physical therapist has specialized training in osteoporosis and lymphedema therapies.
(available by private pay)
and Hand Therapy*
Occupational therapy strives to help patients regain their independence. Some methods of reaching that goal are
• AROM/PROM and strengthening,
• Sensory evaluation,
• Sensory re-education,
• Post-surgical care,
• Work simulation,
• Arthritis management,
• Customized adaptive equipment,
• Scar modification,
• Wound care,
• Muscle re-education,
• Patient education.
* Valerie Jacobs, OT, is a certified hand therapist who specializes in treating people with hand problems.
Our speech therapist is skilled in the development of individualized programs to treat
• Speech deficits,
• Receptive and expressive language deficits,
• CVA/stroke rehabilitation – swallowing*, memory and cognitive therapy,
• Neurological disorders,
• Developmental delays.
* Rumford Hospital’s Medical Imaging Department is equipped with a special chair, which allows a radiologist and the speech therapist to perform swallowing studies.